Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hulk Jesus




I feel bad for Bruce Banner, but at least he gets to be big and strong when he gets angry. I just get the bloodlust and the blackouts. He gets to smash the heads of super villains while I mostly kick inanimate objects and hope nothing expensive gets in the way.

I don’t like emotional filters. They are to life as those bulky, optometrist sunglasses are to sunsets. That being said, I understand their purpose. Like any other drug, emotions and the indulgence in them can really wake you up, really make you feel alive. But they can give you a heart attack. They can also kill you.

I think I can be redeemed as a human being, if my life is ever worth examining by future human beings, for my philosophy, for example my insistence on not filtering or constraining the pure human experience. Love, compassion and happiness, when unfettered and unfiltered, are some of the most powerful fuels on the planet.

I guess my problem is that every time I go drilling for some of my pure human soul, I only find a spurting geyser of black bile. Hate is one of the words I use most. It’s laughable, especially given how much I laugh and enjoy, how much I seek out pleasurable experiences, I listen to hours of comedy podcasts a week, watch hours of comedy programming on YouTube and Netflix each day and spend bunches of time making jokes with friends or thinking of jokes to tell friends.

I realize that I’m just building a buffer. And I realize that I may be wrong, which is disappointing. The hulk, the anger and the hatred, could they really be the building blocks of the human soul? Are love and compassion the man-made blankets with which we’ve shrouded these more terrible emotions? Or am I alone here in being mostly hateful?

I hope not. Or maybe I don’t. What if the Hulk is some sort of Christ figure?[1] He takes on the anger of the world and uses it to rid the world of evil or something like that. That would be an acceptable rationalization for Bruce Banner, I think. Or maybe it wouldn’t.


[1]  Disclaimer: I am neither the Hulk nor Christ nor a Messianic figure

No comments:

Post a Comment