Friday, April 5, 2013

A Song - "Talk on Indolence" from the Avett Brothers


The Avett Brothers. I think they wrote a song about me. If ever a song were written about me, it would be this song.

It's just about being neurotic. And it really conveys the essence of being neurotic, which is that you are constantly compelled to alert other people to your neuroticism, but the only effective means of doing so is by revealing to much about yourself. Any attempt at subtlety falls flat on its face and is just replaced by shouting "Hey! Hey! I'm fucking crazy! I'm fucking crazy and I lock myself in my room and get trapped in my head and I'm a little scared of what that makes me and what you might think of me."

There is no better way of conveying crazy than by stringing together a series of sentences about vague philosophical statements regarding the nature of the universe, a process which makes the author seem both incredibly adroit and sociopathic, then abruptly ending them with a single, meaningless query.

What the fuck am I doing?

The opening words of this song, especially the line "world outside just goes and goes and goes and goes" are absolutely brilliant. It's frenetic and chaotic. It's fraught with anxiety and fear and it gets resolved perfectly when the Brothers start screaming about how nervous they are about what they look like in a bathing suit.

I don't know if a better punk song was played with bluegrass instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment