Monday, May 13, 2013

No Idea




What am I doing? I don’t know.

I mean, I know what I’m doing right now. I know what I’ve done and I have a rough idea of what I’m going to be doing in the immediate future.

But I have no idea why. I really have no idea what I’m doing.

Does anybody?

We make big decisions in life, and we make them all the time. We have no clue what kind of impact those decisions can have on our lives in two days, two months or two years.

I could start walking down a path that will lead me straight over a cliff. Or that path could bring to the gate of a magnificent castle filled with money and food and a pretty princess-type woman with whom I could fall in love.

But I don’t know. Right now, I don’t know what I’m doing or where I’m going.

Nobody really does, at least not until they get there.

Wouldn’t life be easier if we all just acknowledged that? “I’m making a big decision. I might be wrong, and that would be really terrible,” we could announce. “I’m going to the deli. Do you want salami or pastrami?”

But we have to make decisions, most of which will have consequences that our only future selves will have to deal with.

I guess we just have to trust them to figure it out, if it all goes wrong.

Or trust ourselves to make sure it doesn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment