Wednesday, April 24, 2013

To Want




What causes desire? What causes want? Is everything just a craving?

Someone says “I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.” What does that mean? Is there some primal urge contained within the body that desires food and will only be satisfied by the consumption of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Is the brain aware that the body is lacking in caloric nourishment, aware that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich will provide such nourishment and also aware that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are (according to whatever criteria the brain has for tastiness) tasty?

Do I want something because I (for some reason) think I want it, therefore my brain convinces me that I want it, therefore I want it? Do I want something because, deep down in my body, nestled in the corners of my soul, I have an insatiable desire for it (i.e. I want it)?

Sure, we have these primitive cravings for things, but they tend to be primitive things. I want sex. I want food. I want sleep. I want entertainment. These things are reflexively desired and they also bring a sort of reflexive pleasure. Smacking into the warmth of another’s body and gobbling down salty potato chips fill this mammalian desire to live and survive.

But how do I want other things, abstract things? I want to go to this school, get that job, live in this house. But why? Is my desire for the job a primitive craving? Is it something my body, mind or soul desperately needs?

I don’t think so. I want the job in part because I know I need a job. My brain, my consciousness is aware of the fact that I need a job and it also knows that, of all the jobs available to me, this particular job is the least undesirable (or if you’re lucky, the most desirable). So then this is the job that I “want.”

But does that count as really wanting?

No comments:

Post a Comment